Willard (2003) (Blu-ray Review)
DIRECTED BY: Glen Morgan
STARRING: Crispin Glover, R. Lee Ermey, Laura Harring
RATED: PG-13/REGION A/2:35/1080P/NUMBER OF DISCS 1
AVAILABLE FROM Scream Factory
For years, Willard Stiles (Crispin Glover, The Wizard of Gore) has been trapped in a dead-end job with no friends and no future. Willard’s life seems hopeless until he makes an eerie discovery: he shares a powerful bond with the rats that dwell in his basement. Now a guy who has been trampled in the rat race his entire life is suddenly ready to tear up the competition … beginning with his boss.
The remake of Willard is one of those kinda rare cases of a remake being able to top the original. I know I might upset just a few people saying that but this version of the boy who trained his rats to do his bidding had something that the original did not and that was Crispin Glover. Glover here gives a breakout performance and is what holds this movie together from beginning to end. The concept of Willard was always a good and creative one before, but this movie makes the character seem a bit more dimensional than just a guy who has an army of rats. The movie also proves (like a number of films before it) that PG-13 isn’t a death sentence for a horror movie. People tend to forget that these days, but this movie makes the rating work and again a lot of that has to do with the creative plot and Crispin Glover especially. This movie manages to have some chills and thrills regardless and if you have a phobia of rats this movie can work on you for more than one reason.
This one might work well because it isn’t just a shot for shot remake. It adds more layers to things and it helps build up characters. A horror movie can get by on the usual alone, but when you have a good character driven horror, especially in this regard like Willard, you end up with something that is a lot of fun to watch and has some really standout moments. So as Joe Bob would say, this one comes with lots and lots of rat-fu! I guess you can add all of that mixed in with a healthy dose of full-on Crispin Glover as he takes his army of rats into the workplace and then some and have a heck of a good time with it all here in the remake of Willard! You can come for the rats, but you’ll probably leave appreciating the acting a bit as well.
– NEW 2K Scan Of The Original Film Elements
– NEW Audio Commentary With Writer/Director Glen Morgan And Director Of Photography Robert McLachlan
– NEW Audio Commentary With Animal Trainers Mark Harden And David Allsberry Of Animals For Hollywood
– NEW The Road To Willard – An Interview With Writer/Director Glen Morgan
– NEW Destination Willard – An Interview With Director Of Photography Robert McLachlan
– NEW The Rat Trainer’s Notebook – Behind-The-Scenes Footage From Animals For Hollywood
– Audio Commentary With Writer/Director Glen Morgan, Producer James Wong, Actors Crispin Glover And R. Lee Ermey
– The Year Of The Rat – A Documentary On The Making Of Willard
– Rat People: Friends Or Foes? – A Real Rat Documentary
– Deleted/Alternate Scenes With Optional Commentary
– Music Video Ben By Crispin Hellion Glover With Optional Commentary
– Behind-The-Scenes Footage And Interviews From The Electronic Press Kit
– Theatrical Trailer
– TV Spots
QUALITY OF TRANSFER: 95%