35mm Archival Restoration from the collection of George Eastman House
New York, NY – October 2, 2012 – Kino Classics is proud to announce the Blu-ray release of one of the classics of the silent screen, The Penalty, an influential crime drama starring Lon Chaney in one of his most memorable screen performances.
The Penalty comes to Blu-ray on October 23rd, with a SRP of $34.95, mastered in HD from a 35mm restoration by the George Eastman House Motion Picture Department, and featuring a new musical score by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, in 2.0 stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. It is color-tinted according to the surviving instructions.
This disc comes packed with special features including a video tour of Lon Chaney’s actual makeup case and the “double amputee” costume used in The Penalty; surviving footage of Chaney’s acclaimed performance in the now-lost 1919 silent drama The Miracle Man; original theatrical trailers from Chaney’s The Big City and While the City Sleeps; and “By the Sun’s Rays”, a 1914 one-reel Western featuring Lon Chaney in an early screen appearance.
In a role that established him as one of the most dynamically horrifying performers of the silent screen, The Penalty stars Lon Chaney as Blizzard, a criminal mastermind who orchestrates a bizarre and heinous vengeance upon the doctor who unnecessarily amputated his legs. Blizzard befriends the surgeon’s innocent daughter (Ethel Grey Terry) and serves as an artist’s model for her sculptural rendition of Satan, waiting for just the right moment to unleash his devilish desires.
In playing Blizzard, Chaney tightly bound his legs within a pair of leather stumps. As Chaney biographer Michael Blake says, “One has to wonder if the intensity Lon brought to this role might have been due in part to the pain produced by his harness.”
* Mastered in HD from a 35mm restoration by the George Eastman House Motion Picture Department
* New musical score by The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, in 2.0 Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
* Video tour of Chaney’s actual makeup case and “double amputee” costume from The Penalty
* Surviving footage of Chaney’s The Miracle Man
* Original theatrical trailers from Chaney’s The Big City and While the City Sleeps
* “By the Sun’s Rays,” Chaney’s 1914 one-reel Western