Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) (4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray Review)
Directed By: James Gunn
Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista
Rated: PG-13/Region A/2:40/4K (2160p)/Number of Discs 2
Available from Marvel/Disney
After saving Xandar from Ronan’s wrath, the Guardians are now recognized as heroes. Now the team must help their leader Star Lord (Chris Pratt) uncover the truth behind his true heritage. Along the way, old foes turn to allies and betrayal is blooming. And the Guardians find that they are up against a devastating new menace who is out to rule the galaxy.
I LOVE the original Guardians of the Galaxy. Love it! I think it may easily be in the top 3 Marvel comic book movies and could even be number 1 if I really think it over. James Gunn seems to have this gift as a writer/director that carries over traits from his early Troma days but still hits other emotional notes besides just the funny ones. That emotional side of his story telling made the first Guardians film great and it works even more here to make the very family themed sequel, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 great as well. Here, we join the gang as they are working together still saving the world but when the Star Lords real dad shows up it opens up a whole can of worms for the group as they are forced to deal with emotional issues as well as other other-worldly issues as well. I’ll admit when standing side by side with the original film that the plot might be a little weaker here, but the characters are as great as ever and perhaps even more on point than they were before. No joke here is unfunny, no emotional scene (and we have a few) fail to deliver, and we have plenty of eye candy and action to toss along with the whole package. So while I’d still take the first film over this one if I just had to choose, this one just barely misses the same perfect mark as the first film due to an ever so slightly lesser plot and some small dragging moments in the middle. Outside of that, I can’t find anything else wrong with it.
All of this comes to us on the very first Marvel 4K disc! Which needless to say when you are dealing Marvel Studios which is owned by Disney, you are going to get an amazing disc anyway and having it now on 4K just seals the deal and looks AMAZING. It also comes with some great extras that I’m listing below. One of those is a James Gunn audio commentary. I only have a few directors that I can’t wait to hear a commentary from and he is one of them. All in all, if you go and pick up this release of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 you are getting a great film on a great release. The movie packs characters that I think we’ll be talking about for years to come and it comes with an all-star cast. I keep hearing that Marvel’s Cinematic Universe will be heading into some big changes once we hit the Phase 4 part of things and that can be a bit of a troubling thing for someone to hear that loves these movies like myself. But I think just as long as James Gunn is around and we can keep this group of people, the Guardians of the Galaxy, intact that we don’t have anything to worry about if this movie is any indication.
*All Extras are to be found on the Blu-ray Disc*
– Visionary Intro (1080p, 1:39): Director James Gunn briefly discusses the film’s story and evolution for the franchise.
– Bonus Round: The Making of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (1080p): A four-part feature.
In the Director’s Chair with James Gunn (8:36): A look at the first film’s success, ideas and visions for the second film, Gunn’s dedication and abilities, love for his cast, the cast’s love for him, and more. A basic pat-on-the-back piece.
– Reunion Tour: The Music of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (7:37): A discussion of the important part music plays in the series.
– Living Planets and Talking Trees: The Visual Effects of Vol. 2 (10:44): As the title suggests, a closer look at the film’s dazzling special effects.
– Showtime: The Cast of Vol. 2 (10:41): A quick run-through of the cast and what makes them a perfect fit for the film and a family on- and off-screen. Another three-cheers-for-everyone! piece.
– Music Video (1080i, 3:35): Guardians Inferno by The Sneepers Ft. David Hasselhoff. The video is made to reflect a 70s-style presentation, including scan lines and a ~4×3 aspect ratio.
– Gag Reel (1080p, 3:41).
– Deleted Scenes (1080p, 5:04): Adolescent Groot Extended, Memorial to the War on Xandar, Kraglin and – Quill Talk Tunes, and Mantis and Drax Feel the Sadness Extended.
– Audio Commentary: Director James Gunn
Quality of Transfer: 100%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2