Species (1995) (Collector’s Edition) (Blu-ray Review)
Directed By: Roger Donaldson
Starring: Natasha Henstridge, Forest Whitaker, Michael Madsen
Rated: R/Region A/2:35/1080p/Number of Discs 2
Available from Scream Factory
Charged with pulse-pounding suspense, ingenious special effects from Richard Edlund and a first-rate cast including Ben Kingsley, Michael Madsen, Alfred Molina, Forest Whitaker, Marg Helgenberger and introducing Natasha Henstridge, Species is an adrenaline-charged thrill-ride you’ll never forget. When a beautiful human-alien hybrid (Henstridge) escapes from observation, scientist Xavier Fitch (Kingsley) dispatches a crew of experts to find her before she is able to fulfill her horrific purpose: to mate with unsuspecting men and produce offspring that could destroy mankind. As her deadly biological clock ticks rapidly, Fitch and his team are hurled into a desperate battle in which the fate of humanity itself hangs in the balance!
While often just called an Alien rip-off, Species had a lot more to bring to the table than just alien stuff. For one, it brought us the lovely Natasha Henstridge in the role of Sil. She’s an alien, but she’s hot! She’s also here to mate which could be a very bad thing if it happens. Another thing Species brings is the T and A factor to the table. Species pours on the sexuality and that makes for a film that teenage Chuck was very much eager to see back in the day. The thing is, now while watching this movie grown, I found a lot more to like about than just the obvious. That is probably not just something that I noticed seeing as how Scream has released it on a Collector’s Edition Blu-ray. This movie packs an all-star cast and has some REALLY cool effects to boot (not counting some bad CGI here and there). It may be a cheesy movie, but Species is a FUN cheesy movie and that makes all the difference. You could see a lot of different science fiction horror movies in the DNA of Species but it mixes it all up to make its down thing and that is a very good thing.
The character of Sil is one with many shades of gray. She is a very aggressive character in mating season but as other movies would show, she isn’t all bad. This whole concept added a lot of layers to a film many just brush off as some sort of erotic horror. And when Sil is in the alien form I think it is extremely creepy and it makes up the type of stuff that classic midnight movies are all made of. While the film was released with a lot of these extras on an old MGM disc, this time around we get even more extras as well as a 4K scan of the master to make for a very clean and awesome looking disc. If you own the old MGM release, I’d advise you to pass it off to a friend and rush out to get this one from Scream Factory.
– NEW 4K Scan Of The Film’s Interpositive
– Audio Commentary With Natasha Henstridge, Michael Madsen And Director Roger Donaldson
– Audio Commentary With Director Roger Donaldson, Make-up Effects Creator Steve Johnson, Visual Effects Supervisor Richard Edlund And Producer Frank Mancuso Jr.
– NEW Afterbirth: The Evolution Of SPECIES Featuring Interviews With Director Roger Donaldson, Cinematographer Andzej Bartkowiak, Production Designer John Muto, Composer Christopher Young, Creature Designer Steve Johnson, And More
– From Sil To Eve – An Interview With Actress Natasha Henstridge
– Engineering Life
– H.R. Giger At Work
– The Making Of Species: The Origin, The Concept, The Discovery
– Designing A Hybrid
– Theatrical Trailer
– Alternate Ending
– Photo Galleries (Production Design, Creature Designs, Film Stills, Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards)
Quality of Transfer: 95%