Venom (2018) (Blu-ray/DVD Review)
DIRECTED BY: Ruben Fleischer
STARRING: Tom Hardy, Michelle Williams, Riz Ahmed
RATED: PG-13/REGION A/2:40/1080P/NUMBER OF DISCS 2
AVAILABLE FROM Sony Pictures
Journalist Eddie Brock is trying to take down Carlton Drake, the notorious and brilliant founder of the Life Foundation. While investigating one of Drake’s experiments, Eddie’s body merges with the alien Venom — leaving him with superhuman strength and power. Twisted, dark and fueled by rage, Venom tries to control the new and dangerous abilities that Eddie finds so intoxicating.
I think we can all agree that we’d have liked to have seen an R-version of Venom complete with blood and gore when Venom bit someone’s head off and what have you. That being said, what we got with Venom was still a lot of fun and way better than the version of Venom we got back in Spider-Man 3. This is a character that is way more in cahoots with the character we know and love from the comics and here we have that following some pretty popular old comic arcs with lots of action and laughs tossed into the mix with it. If you want to kick on back and pop some popcorn then Venom is a good one to watch. Sadly, it wasn’t included in the MCU with the Marvel and Sony deal, but for what it is in its own world the movie still delivers some fun.
Tom Hardy does do a fine job of making perhaps the most likable incarnation of Eddie Brock we’ve seen. I’d have liked to have had him interact with Peter Parker and all that, but on his own here telling his own origin story I think things go pretty well. The movie also tells the story it wants to tell all the while leaving the door open for another movie that seems to have set the table for an even better movie. Until that movie comes along we have this one and while not by any means a perfect movie, it was just fine with me and I think it is very much worth checking out.
– Venom Mode: When selecting this mode the film will engage informative pop-ups throughout the film to provide insight on the movie’s relationship to the comics, and to reveal hidden references that even a seasoned Venom-fan may have missed!
– Deleted & Extended Scenes: These deleted and extended scenes will give fans even more of the Venom action they loved in theaters!
– Ride to Hospital – Eddie and Venom take a ride to the hospital.
– Car Alarm – Let’s just say that Venom is not fond of car alarms.
– San Quentin – Extended post-credits scene at San Quentin.
– From Symbiote to Screen: A mini-documentary about the history of Venom in comics and his journey to the big screen. Interviews with Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, Ruben Fleischer, Oliver Scholl, and Director and Comic Fanboy Kevin Smith.
– The Lethal Protector in Action: Go behind the scenes with the production crew and learn the secrets behind the awesome Motorcycle stunts, wire stunts, and drones.
– Venom Vision: A look at how Ruben Fleischer came to the project, gathered his team, and made Venom a reality. Utilizes interviews from cast, crew, and producers as well as Fleischer himself.
– Designing Venom: Designing and creating Venom meant a huge challenge for VFX artists; follow the amazing journey.
– Symbiote Secrets: Blink and you may have missed it! Enjoy the hidden references throughout the film.
– 8 Select Scenes Pre-Vis sequences: See the progression of the visual effects, storyboards and fight choreography compared to the finished film.
– “Venom” by Eminem – Music Video
– “Sunflower” by Post Malone, Swae Lee (From Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)
– Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sneak Peek: Meanwhile in another universe…
Quality of Transfer: 99%