Batman: Hush (2019) (4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray Review)
Directed By: Justin Copeland
Starring: Jason O’Mara, Jennifer Morrison, Jerry O’Connell
Rated: PG-13/Region O/1:78/4K (2160p)/Number of Discs 2
Available from Warner Bros.
An adaptation of the seminal DC classic tale, Batman: Hush centers on a shadowy new villain known only as Hush, who uses Gotham’s Rogues Gallery to destroy Batman’s crime-fighting career, as well as Bruce Wayne’s personal life – which has already been complicated by a relationship with Selina Kyle, aka Catwoman.
In what many consider to be one of the best Batman story arcs, the Hush saga comes to life on Blu-ray and 4K from Warner Brothers! Here we have one of the biggest mystery stories that Batman has ever been involved in as people are not only being kidnapped but mind-controlled and murdered in Gotham. Batman after getting hurt pretty bad from the jump has to seek out help from such friends as Superman and Nightwing all the while having a romance start with Catwoman. The movie does a fine job of putting all the key moments of the comic series and putting it into a live-action form. It keeps the very best moments and it is a very strong story as well. You easily get caught up in the plot and you are trying to find out (just as Batman is) who is the mysterious Hush character and all the twists and turns that come with it make for one of the better animated Batman movies I’ve seen.
This is also a very fun movie if you are a big fan of Catwoman and the dynamic between her and Batman. This is one of the best stories that fit those two characters together and might just be the one story that most think of for when you think of the relationship in the DC world between Batman and Catwoman. You also get see a mind-controlled Superman and other cool things that I don’t want to spoil. Also, if you are really into the 4K aspect of this release, these animated movies are looking much better nowadays in 4K. Before they were not making the jump to 4K as well but those issues are fixed and this is a good example of that. Hush is a fun and interesting Batman tale that throws a lot of twists and turns at you and the end results are one of the better Batman animated movies out there.
– DC Showcase: Sgt. Rock (Animated Short) – From executive producer and director Bruce Timm comes the first new DC Showcase animated short since 2011’s Catwoman, bringing DC Comics’ gritty World War II hero to animated life in an all-new adventure.
– Batman: Love in Time of War (Featurette)– Dangerous. Seductive. Villain. Hero. This is the story of Selina Kyle and the relationship she has forged with the world’s greatest detective.
– Audio Commentary – Executive Producer James Tucker, Director Justin Copeland and screenwriter Ernie Altbacker share their thoughts and insights on Batman: Hush.
– A Sneak Peek at the next DC Universe Movie, Wonder Woman: Bloodlines – An advanced look at the next animated film in the popular DC Universe Movies collection.
– From the DC Vault –The Batman/Superman Hour: “The Underworld Underground Caper””
– From the DC Vault – The Batman/Superman Hour: “Partners in Peril”
QUALITY OF TRANSFER: 95%