Killer Nun (1979) (Arrow Video) (BLU-RAY REVIEW)
DIRECTED BY: Giulio Berruti
Starring: Anita Ekberg, Paola Morra, Alida Valli
RATED: UR/REGION A/1:85/1080P/NUMBER OF DISCS 1
AVAILABLE FROM Arrow Video
A demented nun sliding through morphine addiction into madness, whilst presiding over a regime of lesbianism, torture and death. Sister Gertrude is the head nurse/nun in a general hospital, whose increasingly psychotic behavior endangers the staff and patients around her. And did you know that Nuns sleep naked?? I wasn’t aware of the fact before seeing this movie and now that I know it I do believe I am better for it. I think after seeing this thing that may be about the only really memorable thing I take from it. Well, besides the very awkwardness of the whole thing.
You might ask yourself “How I could NOT be blown away when it comes to a movie that does indeed pack some old-style gore, horny/naked Nuns, and a weird sex scene that involves an old man in a wheelchair”. But the sad fact to it all is, the movie just moves at too damn slow of a pace. I think there are some OK shots, the acting is OK, and the women are hot. But there’s just nothing here to really hold everything together. I think some stuff has the focus on it for too long and by the time you move along it just has already lost your interest Now let’s take for example one of the later scenes in this film. A man who can’t walk without the aid of a crutch is left laying while our killer has set their sights on him. From the moment this starts until it ends it just seems to draaag on forever. I believe the pace is crawling about as fast as our gimpy man in question is. Do you know that scene in The Holy Grail where they yell “GET ON WITH IT!”? That’s about what this scene and a few other scenes in this movie desperately needed. It needed someone there to yell, GET ON WITH IT!!
So after things have been gotten on with. Old people get laid and terrorized all the same, and we once again have to realize that hot Nuns sleep in the buff. The movie then ends with a bit of a twist that KINDA helps things a bit, but it’s just a shame that by now it’s much too late to really do much good to the overall product. But if you like that old school sleazy feel that you get from most Blue Underground films you might like it more than I. I however simply was a bit disappointed and a whole lot of bored. More blasphemous than overall entertaining but if you do dig this one Arrow has gone and given it a transfer that tops the old Blue Underground one and the list of extras will probably make you want to own it. It isn’t really my cup of tea, but if you already like it and want to double-dip the quality of this release, in general, will make it all the more understandable.
– New 2K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative
– Uncompressed mono 1.0 LPCM audio
– Original English and Italian soundtracks, titles, and credits
– Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
– Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
– New audio commentary by Italian genre film connoisseurs Adrian J. Smith and David Flint
– Beyond Convent Walls, a new video essay on nunsploitation and Killer Nun by critic Kat Ellinger
– Starry Eyes, a new interview with director Giulio Berruti
– Cut and Noise, a new interview with editor Mario Giacco
– Our Mother of Hell, a new interview with actress Ileana Fraia
– Original Italian and international theatrical trailers
– Image gallery
– Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Daryl Joyce
Quality of Transfer: 95%