Good Boys (2019) (BLU-RAY/DVD REVIEW)
DIRECTED BY: Gene Stupnitsky
STARRING: Jacob Tremblay, Keith L. Williams, Brady Noon
RATED: R/REGION A/2:39/1080P/NUMBER OF DISCS 2
AVAILABLE FROM Universal Studios
Three sixth grade boys ditch school and embark on an epic journey while carrying accidentally stolen drugs, being hunted by teenage girls, and trying to make their way home in time for their first kissing party.
Good Boys deals with a trio of tween friends are having a heck of a time trying to make it a make-out party where one of them’s crush is going to be there. Sadly, these boys seem to uninformed in basically everything from sex devices to kissing and as a result, we have some pretty funny moments but nothing that’s too knee-slapping. The main course for drama comes when they lose one kid’s Dad’s drone to the older female neighbors after trying to spy on them. This opens up a can of worms that works as the main force behind what happens to the boys during that day. Some stuff works really well and some other stuff not so much. The actors are all pretty good in their roles, but some have some mixed material to work with and it kinda shows. This ends up just being a pretty good movie when I had high hopes heading into it that it would be a great movie.
I heard a lot of comparisons to Super Bad heading into this one and I have to say that while this one does offer up some laughs at a more juvenile level, this one isn’t anywhere near the level of Super Bad. It might be because of the age of the kids here but it just doesn’t really make a good companion with that regardless of who produced it. I’m not going to say it’s an awful movie because I don’t think that either, but it ends up being a pretty decent popcorn flick and nothing much more than that. The ending also gets a little screwy as it tries to show how things are at that age and how quick life can move, but it just kinda kills the point of the movie altogether. I think the ending hurts this one a lot, but even the alternate ending on here doesn’t do much to save it. Other than that, we do manage to get a few fun moments.
– UNRATED ALTERNATE ENDING
– UNRATED DELETED AND EXTENDED SCENES
Turtle vs. Tortoise
Benji Don’t Like That
Ball Pit Shenanigans
Stealing a Glance
First Kiss Heartbreak
– GAG REEL
– BOYS FOR REAL – A look into the casting process and real-life friendships that evolved on-set.
– WELCOME TO VANCOUVER – Watch as Jacob Tremblay shows off some of his favorite things about his home town.
– A FINE LINE – Hear filmmakers and cast discuss how the film’s stars delivered such colorful dialogue without necessarily knowing what the words mean.
– ASK YOUR PARENTS – Cast and filmmakers talk about how they were able to navigate adult questions from curious child actors.
– BAD GIRLS – Molly Gordon and Midori Francis discuss how they were able to ramp up the mean, and how Annabelle was able to raise the comedy stakes.
– GUEST STARS – Take a closer look at some of the hilarious guest stars that lent their unique talents to the film.
– FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH DIRECTOR & CO-WRITER GENE STUPNITSKY AND PRODUCER & CO-WRITER LEE EISENBERG
– Optional English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles
QUALITY OF TRANSFER: 98%